Insomnia or difficulty of sleep is the commonest sleep problem seen in the world. Usually 10-30% of adult population is having insomnia. So it is common. However many people having insomnia are not getting treatments. Finally they may ended up with some mental disorder. Therefore having treatment for insomnia is recommended by many specialists. Having said that, the treatments are not always drugs. There are many methods of treatments for insomnia. Most of them are very easy to practice.
Insomnia has several varieties.
1. Difficulty falling asleep
2. Difficulty staying asleep
3. Early final awakening
‘Difficulty falling asleep’ is the most prevalent complaint among people who are having insomnia.
Causes of insomnia
Insomnia may be due to various causes.
- Increased life stress
- Psychiatric disorders like depression and bipolar disorder
- Physical illness
- Effects of drugs
Most of the people with insomnia having increased life stresses. In those situations insomnia can not be treated unless they avoid those stressful events.
Easy treatment tips for insomnia
If a cause for insomnia is identified it should be treated first. For example, if you have insomnia because of underlying kidney disease it should be treated first. Then insomnia will disappear automatically.
When no specific reason is found you should have Good Sleep Hygiene which consists of the following.
- Do not sleep in day time
- Always have a regular sleep and wake time
- Regular exercise – usually in the morning
- Reduce exposure to bright light during night
- Avoid heavy meals and excessive fluid within 3 hours of bedtime
- Avoid shift work
- Improve sleep environment – quiet, dark and cool room
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and nicotine
- Use the bed for sleeping – not for watching television or reading books
If still not improving try following behavioral techniques to get better outcome.
- If you are not asleep within a few minutes after getting into bed, leave the room
- Go into another room and do something relaxing thing such as reading. When sleepy try again
- Repeat this until sleep comes in less than 15-20 minutes
- Get up at the same time every day
- Keep out of the bed during the day time
If your problem is still not improved you have to consult a doctor. Because you may have to start some drugs or investigate for another underlying problem.
So, as I previously said insomnia is a very common sleeping disorder among people which can be treated completely. If you are having such symptoms get medical attention early.